Summer Equestrian Camp
This summer looks a little different than we had hoped, but we are happy that we will be able to resume camp in a day camp model for the summer of 2021.
Houghton College Equestrian Camps provide wonderful opportunities for girls and boys, ages 7 – 18 to attend weekly day camp sessions to learn or advance as a rider in areas of dressage, hunters, jumpers, eventing, and/or western pleasure. Riders at all levels of experience are welcome. Bring your own horse or ride one of Houghton’s great lesson horses. Six day camp sessions are available from June to July. A maximum of 25 campers attend each week providing a small, community oriented, and intentional environment.
Day Camp- $400 per camp week- covers lessons and instruction, lunches, T-shirt, and the use of a Houghton College school horse or the camper’s own horse.
Each camp week will run weekly from Monday-Thursday 8:30am-4:00pm
Camper Cancellation Policy
Refunds, minus a $100 non-refundable deposit, will be made for camper cancellations made by June 5. For camper cancellations received between June 6 and June 12 (or 2 weeks prior to your camp start date), a refund of 50% will be made. No refunds are given for cancellations 2 weeks prior to camp start date. No refunds will be granted for withdrawal after Sunday camp start. Special consideration will be given if withdrawal is for medical reasons.
Campers are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Certain weeks fill up fast, so it is best to register as early as possible.
Campers who register will receive further instructions including final payment, medical forms (available online), liability releases, and emergency notification forms, etc. A confirmation email will be sent out by April 30.
|Availability for riders using college lesson horses||Availability for riders bringing their own horse|
|Day Camp 1: June 28-July 1, 2021||14 spaces||10 spaces|
|Day Camp 2: July 5-8, 2021||13 spaces||10 spaces|
|Day Camp 3: July 12-15, 2021||13 spaces||9 spaces|
|Day Camp 4: July 19-22, 2021||19 spaces||10 spaces|
|Day Camp 5: July 26-29, 2021||15 spaces||10 spaces|
Intentionally Designed Riding Experiences
Lesson groups are separated into the various riding disciplines and designed to meet each camper’s personal riding goals and their skills and ability demonstrated to best meet the rider’s goals, challenge them in areas of skill and knowledge, and to provide the opportunity to learn more about their discipline of interest.
- Lesson groups will be up to 5 riders to best meet goals and provide individual attention.
- Campers will start the mornings with lessons and learning about horse care, break for lunch, and then wrap up the day with various activities including pony games, trail rides, skills and horsemanship, creek stomping, crafts and games.
- Rider-horse pairs are chosen by staff after a short evaluation ride to try to best meet the camper’s goals and abilities.
More than Just Riding
The Houghton College Equestrian Center was recently listed as one of the 20 Most Amazing College Equestrian Centers in the country by Best Value Schools this past year alongside major universities such as Michigan State, Penn State, Stanford and Kentucky.
Located on 386 acres of farmland on a scenic ridge with a glorious view of the Genesee River valley, the Houghton College Equestrian complex includes:
- Event Center with geothermal heating and cooling which includes:
- 100′ x 220′ indoor arena, bleacher seating for 200, classroom, concession stand, restrooms, changing rooms, two wash racks and 12 box stalls
- Five barns with 51 box stalls
- A full cross-country course and a variety of riding trails
- Multiple pastures ranging from three to seven acres
- 60′ x 145′ indoor arena with heated viewing/classroom attached
- 100′ x 240′ outdoor stadium jumping ring
- 20m x 60m dressage arena with a permanent judge’s stand
All arenas have state-of-the-art footing of sand and shredded rubber. The facilities also include introductory, beginner-novice, novice and training level cross country jumps and scenic trails that wind through the woods and around hayfields.
Houghton Equestrian Camp offers opportunities for campers to get to know each other through afternoon activities. Camp staff on duty join the girls for activities such as:
- Elements on our low ropes course
- Barn day for workshops on topics such as medical care, natural horsemanship, show preparation, and general horse knowledge
- Creek walking and critter finding
- Games and interactive activities
Testimonials from Past Campers and Parents
Houghton College Equestrian camp has been apart of my life since I was 10 years old, and because of this I consider it my safe haven. The friends I have made are people I will remember and keep in touch for a lifetime. I look forward to going every summer, to grow as a rider and as a person.
Whenever I get the chance to go to another camp, I choose to go to Houghton for another week. The counselors are helpful and caring, and the other campers are kind and accepting.
My husband and I have been thoroughly impressed with Houghton College's Equestrian Camp program ever since our daughter started attending camp several years ago. We have watched our daughter, under the tutelage of Houghton's wonderful counselors, staff and director, grow from a shy nervous first time young camper to a confident poised young lady and competent young equestrian. We can't recommend this camp, this director, this staff and this college enough!